Friday, February 18, 2005

On the road again

After a longer time in the UK than I had anticipated, I have set off again.

First stop, Venice in Italy. It really is a delightful town - I can see the attraction. Arriving on the day after Valentine's Day I was surprised to find that the gondoliers had been on strike! The weather was great, like early summer by my last day there. I met a fun group of people at the hostel, but stayed up too late on the first night. The streets in Venice are very pretty and it's rather confusing walking around - there are sign posts for the three main sights, but if you want to go somewhere else you could end up getting quite lost - dead-end streets make it like a maze!

I had been before in summer 1990, but February is a good time to go because there are far fewer people. And especially off the beaten track there were not many tourists. I was staying in an area populated by local Venetians, which helped to enhance the atmosphere (and keep the prices of the food down!).

One evening I went with 3 others and played frisbee in St Marks Square and nearly midnight! And since I had my guitar I played that in the square too. Someone took an artistic photo of me, so that may appear on my website!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home