Monday, July 03, 2006

Barry

About 3 weeks ago, Barry Graham, who had been spiritually fathering me, died. He was the pastor of Fareham Community Church in England, and was also overseeing 2 other churches and involved in missions work around the world.

I first met Barry in Albania in December 2004. He had become pastor of FCC after I left England to go travelling, so I hadn't met him then. He was the kind of person who made his presence felt, not by being overbearing, just because he had vision, was definite when he spoke and had a genuine concern for people. He would say what he saw, preferring to confront issues instead of letting them fester. The kind of person who changes things.

During the time in Albania when I met him (he was visiting Nick and Sar, the missionary friends I was staying with), he preached one Sunday morning. During the time, he picked out people from the congregation and prophesied over them, and I'm told he was very accurate. He picked on me - I needed to be spiritually fathered. So I spoke to him about it, and he volunteered to do it. Such was his attitude.

I saw him last in January. He was talking about meeting up again in Albania in March when he visited. But he had a back problem. It lasted a long time, and then in hospital he was discovered to have cancer. It took hold fast and with shocking speed he died.

So I was left with a sense of loss, as many have been. I believe he was good for Fareham and I prayed for his healing, as did others. I was looking for God's victory and that's where my faith was. His death was not something I was expecting, and personally don't think it was the "best" outcome (to say it was for the best is one way of rationalising what happened) - however I still know that God will bring the victory, in whatever form that will take. "In all things God works for the good of those who love Him..." (Romans 8:28)

May others follow after God in faith and commitment to God's Word as Barry seems to have done; and may we all enjoy closeness with the Lord. May Your Kingdom come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home