Friday, August 27, 2004

Back to Prague

I had a day to recover after Auschwitz. I looked for a church in Krakow, but didn't manage to get to a service.
I decided to go back to Prague on the Monday as Mum and Dad were visiting there for a few days. It's worth noting that I had been finding things rather tough for over a week, with a number of temptations to go off the rails a bit. Also, I felt that although I had been enjoying my travels, I had not really been taking many risks in trusting God like I have on previous journeys. So I took a small step of leaving for Prague with nowhere booked for that evening.

On my way I missed a connection by 5 minutes because the train was late in. So I took some other trains to the Polish border. I got off and went to buy the onward ticket only to find that I didn't have enough Polish money, they didn't take bank cards and there was no ATM, and there was a wait for 2.5 hours before the train. I was feeling frustrated at my situation and quite angry. I decided I should use this opportunity to pray, which I did with some passion as I realised my attitude was bad. I'm so glad I did! From then, things started getting better. I managed to get on the next train. I tried to pay with Czech money but they told me to wait, and then I was at the station I wanted so the guard told me to pay at the station counter. However the person at the counter wouldn't sell me the ticket, telling me with a smile not to worry about it even though I tried to buy it!

Now I had a wait of another 3 hours. Someone came up to me and started talking to me and we travelled together. He turned out to be a Christian and used to work at the hostel I was intending to stay at in Prague. We arrived in Prague at 3:17 am (good job I hadn't paid for a hostel that night) and slept at the station. I woke up once and saw people hovering around me looking suspicious. Another time I woke up and my guitar was gone! However I saw the thief and ran after him and got it back, and said "Thank you"! Someone else was standing by my bags but I didn't have anything permanently stolen. God was clearly looking after me.

I had a good few days with Mum and Dad in Prague, and today I am going to Bratislava in Slovakia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home