Friday, December 14, 2007

#5

Standing at the bus stop, waiting for a #5 bus is a regular occurrence, but today it was different - I was feeling excited. The bus journey took the same route, but today was not usual; I was looking ahead to being in another 2 countries this day, and suddenly the mundane things were transformed.

Changing buses, some 40 minutes later I was at the border, with snow coming down. Kosovo. Arriving in Pristina I took a local bus as close to the airport as I could get and then started walking. There I was with back-pack and guitar, walking through the cold and snow, cars sliding slowly passed me, faces bemused looking out at me: a foreigner on foot, trudging along. About two thirds of the way there a car stopped for me and the driver offered me a lift.

And then a plane ride later and I was thrust into the world of England before Christmas. Decorations, fancy shops, lots of people moving with intent to some destination, dressed in dark coloured clothes and wearing scarves, looking like they've walked out of some TV series. And then I see my dad, faithfully waiting by the 23 year old red Audi 80, smiling as he sees me, and we drive to Bromley, catching up on news. My mum's still-pretty face greets us at the door, and I am welcomed into the warmth...

2 Comments:

At Tue Dec 18, 09:10:00 pm 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ova e slatko postce :).

 
At Tue Dec 18, 09:12:00 pm 2007, Blogger Ian Symondson said...

fala!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home