Sunday, August 13, 2006

Istanbul



Standing on a bridge over the Golden Horn, the wind blowing through my hair, looking out from the edge of Europe over to Asia, the Muslim call to prayer sounding out from various "camii". A vibrant city, my introduction to modern Turkey. Lively bars and restaurants, and laid-back community-feeling, nestled in the walls of the old city - Sultanahmet - surrounded by such historic sites as Ayasofia and Topkapi Palace.

I had come to Istanbul, having wanted to meet other Christians and then deciding to simply trust God to direct me, instead of waiting around for it to happen. Walking back from the bridge I remembered again this decision and continued to trust. Minutes later I encountered a group playing music and quickly discerned that they were Christians. I discovered that there are very few Christians in Turkey (a country of 70 million), so the chance of that meeting was very small. I could see God's hand in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home